Home Page

Milford Primary School

Milford Primary School

Home Page


Special Educational Needs and Disability at Milford Primary School

The SENDCO at Milford Primary School is Mrs Cathy Kinsella

Please get in touch if you have any concerns about your child's progress or wellbeing:

01332 841316   

Our SEND policy


Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Information Report



At Milford Primary School , we are committed to promoting equality and respect within our school and wider community. We aim to deliver the highest standard of educational provision for every pupil, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, to create life long learners and positive citizens for the future.


Roles and Responsibilities


SENDCO Mrs Cathy Kinsella


As SENDCO, I co-ordinate all of the specific provision that is put in place to support children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).


I am responsible for writing and implementing the Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy.

You can read our policy above.


I work with class teachers and support staff, providing advice and support. Together we monitor a pupil’s progress and arrange further or different provision if progress is slower than expected.


I meet with our SEND Governor every term to review progress, provision and resources.  We analyse assessment data and discuss ways of further improving our provision and support.


I also liaise with a range of external agencies who can give us specialised advice and support. This includes Educational Psychology Services, Behaviour Support, Autism Outreach and SSSEN.


If you have any concerns about any SEND matter, please contact me. You can ring the school office on 01332 841316 to arrange an appointment or e mail me direct:


We have written about how we can provide help and support for our children with Special Educational Needs: this is called our “School Offer”.


Our local authority of Derbyshire has also made a “Local Offer” and you can read more about it on the authority’s website where the offer is published.


Who are the best people to talk to about my child’s difficulties with learning, Special Educational Needs or Disability?


Parents know their children better than anyone and working together is the best way to provide support. If you are concerned about your child’s progress, please come and talk to us. Your first port of call is your child’s class teacher. You can also talk to Mrs Kinsella, the head teacher or Mrs Coote who is the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCO). We can then plan what next steps to take.


How will school support my child with Special Educational Needs/Disability?


Our Curriculum is designed to include social skills, morals and values which encourage respect, consideration and valuing diversity. We are strongly inclusive in our approach and all children are valued equally.  All areas of the curriculum and all our out of school activities, visits and clubs are available to all our pupils.  All teachers plan, deliver and review the work of all the children in their class, including those with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. The class teacher uses a provision map to set out support for the class, to enable all children to access the curriculum.  This includes programmes of support work for groups or individuals often delivered by a Teaching Assistant. Learning tasks are differentiated and adapted as needed. Some children will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP). This includes specific targets for progress, interventions (methods of support) to help achieve these targets, when the interventions will be delivered and by whom. Some children may be referred to outside agencies for further support such as Speech and Language Therapists, Autism Outreach, Behaviour Support or the Educational Psychologist etc. These outside agencies provide specialist advice and support for the child in school and at home. You will always be informed and involved if your child is referred to an outside agency and any advice will be discussed with you.

Any Physical, Personal Care, Dietary or Medical needs are discussed with parents to put measures into place to allow every child appropriate care, dignity, privacy and as much independence as possible.  We make every reasonable adaptation to allow all our pupils maximum access to all areas of school life.


Who will explain my child’s needs and progress to me?


Your child’s needs and progress will be talked through with you by the class teacher, usually at our parent consultation evenings. We may also discuss how you can help your child at home, or strategies that you or school have found successful. At these meetings the teacher may be joined by the SENDCO or by a colleague from an outside agency. Additional meetings (formal or informal) can be arranged if needed. For children with an IEP, there will usually be a meeting or phone conversation when old targets are reviewed and new targets are set. We will always work hard to find a time that is convenient for parents.


How will you measure my child’s progress?


Your child’s progress will be tracked and measured (as are all children in school). We make on going assessments in lessons and group or individual interventions and when marking. We assess more formally at the end of each term and record progress on a tracking system. This helps us measure our pupils’ progress. These assessments help us to group children in lessons and for interventions. If further support or adaptation is needed the SENDCO and Class Teacher will decide what additional support can be given to aid progress. When a child’s IEP is reviewed, next steps are set. This may mean breaking down a target into small steps to enable the child to make progress and experience success.


How are the school’s resources allocated to children’s Special Needs and Disabilities?


Through the Local Authority, the school receives funding for supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.  We use this funding to give extra support and/or resources to best support each child to remove barriers to learning and help the child to progress. Teaching assistants may be used to support some children to access the curriculum and to deliver specific programmes recommended by specialists. Special equipment may be provided: for example coloured reading filters, a sloping desk top or a wobble board. Particular software may be purchased. If further support is needed it maybe that the school requests additional funding through a GRIP (Graduated Response for Individual Pupils) application or requests an assessment for an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP). The EHCP would be focused on the specific, complex and long term needs of a pupil and would normally involve a team from different areas of expertise ( e.g local community paediatrician and educational psychologist) working together to provide the best support for the child.


How will my child be able to contribute his/her views?

Children are encouraged to have a voice and choices in their education. All children are able to express their views via the school council: anonymity is provided through the use of a post box or they can talk to their class representative. As part of the IEP review process, children discuss what they are good at and what they would like help with and what/who help them. This is taken into account when setting new targets. If your child has a statement of educational needs or a EHCP they are consulted as part of the review progress. Their teacher or a TA who works with them will help them express their ideas in the best way for them: recording, art, writing a letter, a chat, power point presentation etc. The child's views and preferences are always taken into consideration when planning their support.


What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?


Specialist services are involved when a child has a specific need and their services can be called on. The school would access such support as necessary for individual children. These include school nurse, GP, local community paediatrician, Speech and Language Therapist, Education Welfare Officers, Local Inclusion Officers, Educational Psychologist, Autism Outreach, Support Service for Visually Impaired, Support Service for Hearing Impaired. We would also take up the Derbyshire Local Offer if appropriate.


What training have the staff had to prepare them for supporting children with Special Educational Needs?


Much of the support for children is provided by good quality teaching within our classes and differentiated activities. Teachers and Teaching Assistants work very closely together to provide in class support for children who need a little extra support. We also equip ourselves to support children who need further help. Our staff has regular training sessions and INSET days, some of which are training for special needs. Our staff has particular expertise in supporting children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Attachment Disorder, Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, Speech and Communication Difficulties and Dyslexia. We access further training as the need arises.The SENCO holds the National Award for SEN Co-ordination and attends regular training to keep abreast of new regulations and best practice.


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom, including day and residential trips?


Our aim is for all children to be fully included: this may mean making some reasonable adaptation to accommodate the particular needs of a child. We would always discuss any concerns with parents and a risk assessment is always carried out before an educational visit. If you are worried about any aspect of any school visit please talk to your child’s class teacher, Mrs Fox or Mrs Coote. This can be informally if preferred.


How will the school support my child when moving between classes or when transferring to secondary school.


We prepare all the children for moving to a new class through a range of activities in school including timetabling of the Green Pitch area of the playground to allow “new” classes to play together ahead of time. We also run activities to allow the groups of children to work together on sports activities or performances for our end of term concert. All children have a more formal visit to their new class during which they will meet their new teacher and any support staff. Children with special needs can also be paired with an older “buddy” to help them get to know the class and can have extra informal visits. The class teachers liaise closely so that strategies and interventions that are helping the child can be continue.


Our Y6 children all have a visit to their new secondary school and Year 7 staff will usually visit them at Milford for a Q and A session. Additional visits to the secondary schools can easily be arranged and if appropriate a member of staff can accompany the pupil. We can also rehearse bus journeys or the walk to school ahead of the visits. We work closely with the SENCOs at the secondary school passing on information about needs, strengths and strategies. We can also arrange for parents to meet the SENCO if required.


Who can I contact for further information or discuss a concern?


In the first instance, please contact your child’s class teacher. Appointments can be informal and can often resolve issues quickly. If you still have concerns please contact Mrs Coote (SENCO) or Mrs Kinsella(Head teacher) on 01332841316 or or or you can drop a note at the office.


We really value the positive relationship we have with our parents and believe that the very best outcomes for the child happen when we work together so your input, questions and knowledge of your child are always important.


There is a wealth of support and advice for parents on the Derbyshire Local Offer and it is well worth having a look. If you would like help finding advice on the site please contact Mrs Coote.

Graduated Approach Overview

The document linked below gives an overview of the support we offer for SEND pupils at Milford. This is called the Graduated Approach, increasing in steps depending n the needs of each individual child.